Off to See the Wizard
by Randall L. Whipkey
In the delightful fantasy novel The Wizard of Odds,
Dobie, the gnomelf heroine, journeys across the Wizdom to
ask the High One to save her gnomelf home village from
the Mushroom Blight. On her way to Odds, Dobie must outwit
six monsters, including a Goblin, as she traverses the
countryside. From the book review that follows, can you
solve this Challenger Logic Problem by finding the order
in which Dobie overcomes the obstacles: each monster's name,
the type of creature it is, and where in Wizland Dobie
encounters it (she meets one opponent in an alleyway in
the port of Kingstown)?
- The Harpy Dobie outwits by tricking it into trying to
fly to the Moon isn't named Beeble.
- The monster Dobie encounters on the bridge over the
River Riot isn't the 1st or 2nd she meets on her
- In first-to-last order, our gnomelf consecutively
outwits these three opponents: Krull, the Troll, and
the one she meets in Darknight Wood.
- The place Dobie faces Zolda, who isn't a fire-breathing
Dragon, isn't the Desert of Illusion.
- Dobie overcomes the monster Goldurn by tricking it
into trying to dig its way to the Land of Ming.
- Three of the monsters--Elantra, the Werewolf, and the
one in the Bottomless Swamp--are defeated with the help
of Dobie's faithful companion-pet Peetie, an articulate
- Dobie doesn't meet the Troll in the Desert Of Illusion.
- Right after overcoming one monster on the River Riot
bridge, the gnomelf outwits Mog.
- In back-to-back challenges, Dobie thwarts the Vampire
and then meets Zolda.
- The monster Dobie encounters immediately ahead of her
confrontation with Elantra is the fire-breathing
- Consecutively, the gnomelf wins a battle of wits in the
Desert of Illusion, next meets a Werewolf, and then
- Mog is neither Troll nor Harpy.
- Dobie's Darknight Wood battle isn't with the Vampire.
- The monster our heroine conquers on eerie Cragmount
Tor isn't Krull.
Logic Problem Solution
CRpuzzles.com. Copyright © 2000-2007 by Calvin J. Hamilton
& Randall L. Whipkey. All rights reserved.