The Model Train
by Randall L. Whipkey
In his current model train, Lionel Signalguard has a steam
engine, a red Pennsylvania caboose, and five operating cars,
each of which loads/unloads at an appropriate depot spotted
along the O gauge track circuit; the Armour cattle car stops
at the operating stockyard. None of the operating cars
1st-5th stops at the same position depot (i.e., 1st car does
not load/unload at first accessory) laid out along the track
starting from the Grand Station. From the schedule data
given below, can you determine the order 1st-5th behind the
engine of the cars in the train and the order first-fifth at
which they stop to load/unload around Lionel's track layout?
- The train stops at the coal station immediately before
it loads/unloads the 1st car.
- The train stops to load/unload the Great Northern log
car at the lumbermill immediately before stopping at
the depot where the 3rd car goes into action.
- In the train car order, the Lehigh Valley coal hopper
is immediately ahead of the car that is loaded/unloaded
at the second stop around the track.
- The Cities Service barrel car, which operates at the
oil derrick accessory, immediately follows the car that
loads/unloads at the first depot on the circuit.
- The lumbermill isn't the first stop on the model train's
trip around the layout.
- The Illinois Central trailer carrier, which loads/unloads
at the container crane, isn't the 2nd car in order in
- The 1st car in the train after the 20-wheel engine
doesn't load/unload at the fifth depot on the track.
Logic Problem Solution
CRpuzzles.com. Copyright © 2000-2007 by Calvin J. Hamilton
& Randall L. Whipkey. All rights reserved.